Thursday, May 7, 2020

Orphan Blocks a-plenty

I have a folder full of orphan blocks of all shapes and sizes so this week I have sorted them into colour themes and started putting them together. You might even recognise your own block amongst them. I get them from everywhere, some from our group when there is an odd block left over, some from my own practice blocks and others inherited or donated from other quilters over the years.

First the Green and Cream Quilt

I decided that all these 9 blocks went together and would all be the same size if I just added calico borders of various sizes to some of them. Some needed minute borders while those for others were quite wide.



I have now added a narrow dark green border around it and chosen the next 6" border but am waiting for my polar fleece order from Spotlight to arrive so that I know exactly what width I have to work to.

Second was the Aqua Blue Allsorts

This time I decided to experiment with a haphazard layout rather than trying to make the blocks all the same size. And I even decided not to measure anything except the 1.5" frames that appear in places. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo when the blocks were just scattered on the design wall but here are a few shots.


Here it is waiting for trimming both sides then adding borders and backing of some sort. I think I would like a strong aqua border first to frame it then after that who knows.


I have lots of other blocks and am just going to keep going with different colour schemes. I am also using some of my cut squares to fill spaces where necessary so am using up lots of scraps.

I think each time we have a new block to try it would be fun to choose a colour scheme so that all the orphan blocks resulting from my experimenting could eventually be put together as a "sampler" quilt.

No comments: