Friday, July 1, 2011

June Weekend

Last weekend we had a great time and it was extremely productive.

We have now finished hemming Jane's Birds and I am now quilting it (done in the wrong order but it worked best that way). Evelyn and Robyn were Trojans getting all the hemming completed.

We then had our usual discussions about how to arrange Liz's Pink and Blue Flowers. As we had an extra block, the extra one has become a frame for our label on the back of the quilt. It looks fabulous with the usual label sewn in the centre. I have just received another one of these blocks which will be saved for one of our orphan block quilts.

Then there was another discussion about framing, borders and binding and here is what we have ended up with. It actually looks quite stunning.

There will eventually be a thin blue binding around this border.

The next task was to put all the Red Log Cabin blocks that have been received onto our design wall. As we still have quite a few to be returned, this will be arranged properly next time. People have found this block very challenging due to the need for absolute accuracy in squaring, sewing and trimming. Funny that such a simple looking block is such a challenge. The trick is to not just trim it straight each time you add a strip but also to trim it square with the centre block. Another trick is to cut the strips a generous width (extra 1/8") then trim them to size after they are sewn on.

The final activity was to draw the next lucky dip which was some fabric donated by Jane in Connecticut. There was no block design with it so Jenny (who drew the lucky dip) chose a block design. Instructions for this one will come soon and you will receive your pieces of fabric which will become the background fabric of the star.

All in all a fun weekend with lots of patchwork, eating, chatting and good company.

Thank you all.

No comments: